Restaurant’s Sushi Roll Blamed for Illnesses and Deaths


Cleaning and Sanitation Best Practices for Restaurants: Ensuring a Spotless Dining Experience
Ensuring Food Safety in a Globalized World: The Role of Auditing, Testing, and Training

Montana,Saturday, May 14, 2023

Two individuals have died, and over 40 others have fallen ill after consuming sushi at a restaurant in Montana, USA. The victims ordered a roll that contained morel mushrooms and salmon. Donna Ventura, aged 64, and William Lewis, aged 74, tragically passed away after dining at Dave’s Sushi restaurant in Bozeman on April 17.

Investigations conducted by the FDA and the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services revealed that the morel mushrooms served at the restaurant were sourced from China, distributed to a California-based supplier, and subsequently sent to multiple states. Ventura was rushed to Bozeman Health Deaconess Regional Medical Center on the same day she dined at the restaurant after collapsing at home. She experienced cardiac arrest and organ failure, ultimately succumbing to her illness 13 days later. Lewis passed away the morning after his visit to the establishment.

Following numerous customer complaints of food poisoning, the restaurant was closed on April 21. In a statement, the restaurant acknowledged the illnesses and stated that the “special roll” contained FDA-approved, cultured morel mushrooms, which may have been the common ingredient responsible for the foodborne illness.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed

Read More

Must Read